Swim Meet Volunteer Training
- Arrive no later than 4:00 pm
- Two volunteers will have a list of approved entrants to the main lot, and those persons will be allowed into the lot. All other cars are allowed to drop their swimmers and gear at the drop-off circle, and they should be instructed to proceed to parking on the other side of Tolleson off of McCauley Road.
- One volunteer will ensure that our reserved spots for our Sharks parents are used by the designated families only. You will have a list, and their will be signs to reserve those spots.
1st Half Volunteers (all positions)
- Volunteers involved directly in the meet (timers, place judges, deck managers), should be in place by approximately 5:20 pm for the start of the meet. All other volunteers start times are as instructed.
2nd Half Volunteers (all positions)
- Should be in place and ready to take over from your 1st Half counterpart after the completion of event 46 (or as announced by the host team, if different)
- Timers and place judges (1st and 2nd half volunteers) will attend a pre-meet meeting with the referee and coordinators at about 5:00 to 5:15 pm, during which you will receive instructions regarding the system of timing at that meet.
- After the Ref meeting, 1st half volunteers will receive their clipboards, stop watches and Time Drops (or other equipment used by the host team)
- Timers and place judges (1st and 2nd half volunteers) will attend a pre-meet meeting with the referee and coordinators at about 5:00 to 5:15 pm, during which you will receive instructions from the referee.
- These volunteers, one from each team, will be positioned at the finish end of each race (either 25 yards or 50+ yards).
- As swimmers finish, the place judges will each independently determine and record (on the provided place judge cards) the order of finish for each event/heat.
Scoring Table - Computer/Scoring Tech and Sorter
- The computer/scoring tech will be responsible for monitoring the Time Drops data in real time. This position requires training, and will most likely be filled by board members or select approved volunteers.
- The scoring sorter will receive the timer and place judge cards from the runner, and sort them by event/heat, ensuring that all timer and place judge cards have been returned to the scoring table. Once all timer and place judge cards have been received and sorted, the sorter will staple the information together by event. The sorter should be prepared to deliver paperwork to the Computer/Scoring Tech should they need to check it.
- Home Meets - During the meet, ribbon labels will be printed. Ribbon workers will place the labels on the appropriate ribbons and sort/file them into the appropriate family folders by name.
- Away Meets - At the conclusion of each meet, we will have all of the ribbon labels printed. Ribbon workers will start at 8:00 am on Wednesday mornings (or the day after the meet if the meet is not on Tuesday) at practice and work until all ribbons have been completed and filed in the family folders.
- Runners will collect place judge cards (from both place judges, sitting together) and timer cards (one from each lane) at the end of each event and deliver that information to the sorter at the scoring/computer table.
Bullpen Volunteer Instructions
- Each bullpen will have a list of all swimmers in their age/gender group competing in the meet. Please check swimmers in as they arrive. If you have missing swimmers by the time warmups start, please let the lead deck manager, one of our coaches or the team coordinator know, and we will make calls, as needed.
- Parents are not allowed to sit in bullpens. Please ask them to set up elsewhere. If they will not comply, please inform your team coordinator immediately.
- If kids leave the bullpen, the parents must check them out with you directly, inform you exactly where they are sitting, and you are to instruct them when to return to the bullpen (i.e. if their next event is 50, they may need to be back by event 40 or 45, depending on the length of events before their next event). If they just need to go to the bathroom, this should not require parent checkout (exception 5-6 and 7-8 groups, use your judgement), just make sure the swimmer knows they are to return immediately to the bullpen area.
- Please tell parents (if you see them and have a chance) that the kids are to remain in the bullpen during the meet. They can go to the restroom or be checked out for short periods to eat, but the procedure above should be followed. If you are having issues with certain parents, please let your team coordinator know.
- Parents should have their kids marked up on arrival; however, if they do not, please assist your swimmers with getting marked up. If this becomes a parent and the parents are not learning to do this, please inform your team coordinator so that we can discuss with those parents.
- Also, if pre-marked, please double check their grid against the official heat sheet.
- As meet start time nears, bullpen parents should begin to line up their swimmers for the first set of events, lining them up by heat and lane. The lead deck manager will be assisting with calling athletes to line up with their teammates for their races.
- Help sell food and drinks in the concession stand.
- The grill masters are responsible for manning the grill, cooking all of the burgers and hotdogs, as needed. This shift will start around 4:30 PM and end when all of the meat has been cooked and the grill has been cleaned up.
Simple formatted text